Pages

Thursday 15 December 2016

My top 10 books of 2016

Today, I completed my 2016 GoodReads Reading Challenge - which to the uninitiated, means I read the X amount of books - 45 to be exact - I said would at the beginning of the year. Well actually, originally said I would read 24 but kept increasing the number when I kept hitting the "target". Lest this sounds impressive, I should point out I've read several graphic novels this year, which are fairly quick to read, and quite a few books that weren't exactly taxing on the brain (eg, see my post on my love of Doctor Who novels). Anyway, I thought it would be a good opportunity to list my top 10 favourite books of the year (some of which were featured in my favourite book of the year so far post)

According to GoodReads, it's about "five misfits who exist on the fringes of Ireland's post-crash society". Not nearly as worthy or pretentious as that makes it sound. 


8: The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge
Proof that Young Adult can be just as well written and well plotted as "grown-up" books.

7: Ethel and Ernest by Raymond Briggs
A sweet comic strip biography of Briggs' parents. There's an adaption on Channel 4 over Christmas (makes a change from The Snowman), and I will definitely be watching it.

6: The Gap of Time by Jeanette Winterson
A modern retelling of The Winter's Tale. Reminded me that I should make more of an effort to read more of Winterson's works.

5: All My Friends are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman
Bonkers but in a good way. The title says all you need to know about the plot!

4: A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson
A must for fans of her Life after Life

3: Q's Legacy by Helen Hanff
A lovely little read about a woman, the author of 84 Charing Cross Road, living her life her way. Not that she does anything radical more that she's doesn't seem that bothered about conforming to society's expectations etc.

2: The House of The Spirits by Isabelle Allende
A sprawling family saga that grips from the first page. Don't watch the film version though; that's pants.

1: The Long Way to A Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
A book I love so much I have to force myself to stop recommending it to people as it's started to border on the obsessive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment