Pages

Sunday 28 January 2018

Review: How to be Champion: My Autobiography

How to be Champion: My Autobiography How to be Champion: My Autobiography by Sarah Millican
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I both read the ebook version and listened to the audiobook (narrated by Millican herself) - thanks to a limited offer in which, essentially, you buy the two for £4.

Of the two, I preferred the audiobook. Millican's narration breathed life into what otherwise would be your typical story of self-discovery. This is a great feel-good book one that reminds you that accepting yourself for you who are and not for who you think should be is probably be one of life's biggest challenges at times. Plus, there's a fair bit of justified fury at being criticised for having the "audacity" to be an overweight well-known woman and, worst of all, one that doesn't want children.

One word of warning, Millican (as you probably know if you have seen her stand up) is fairly liberal with coarse sexual language. I personally don't like it - in fact, I was surprised by how much I didn't like it (didn't realise I was that much of a prude to be honest). So if you have a tendency to cringe every time someone refers to their, er, "Lady Garden" in blunt terms, Millican's type of comedy may a bit off putting at times.

Overall, though, Millican comes across as a lovely person. Ultimately, just because her comedy might not be for you, doesn't mean you can't enjoy this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment