Pages

Sunday 14 January 2018

Review: The Quakers: A Very Short Introduction

The Quakers: A Very Short Introduction The Quakers: A Very Short Introduction by Pink Dandelion
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Having "officially" been a Quaker for two years now (I became a "member" of a Meeting House in 2016, but had been attending meetings before then), I decided it was high time that I found out more about my faith. Therefore, I decided to read this brilliant overview.

Pink Dandelion - the book is surely worth reading for that name alone - provides a well-researched, concise report of the beginnings of the Quakers, how they faced the challenges of having different viewpoints from each other (they did what all people of religion do when they disagree; essentially, they go off in a huff and start their own version), and the face of Quakers today.

While I knew (vaguely) that I was a Liberal Quaker, I was surprised to find that - on the global scale of things - Liberal Quakers are in the minority. In fact, everything points to Liberal Quakers dying out by the time I am in my 50s (2030s) - more than a little depressing! Though Pink Dandelion (his name is so epic, I will always use it in full) does stress that there has been a resurgence of late & the cinema didn't die out in the 1960s as predicted. Certainly, my meeting (admittedly, one of the biggest in London) is busy enough to warrant three meetings a week and its own newsletter (edited by someone fabulous*)

I think this book is an excellent read for anyone who is either a Quaker, interested in attending Quaker meeting, or simply wants to know more about the faith. Though, in true Liberal Quaker fashion, I'd advise anyone interested in the Quakers to come to a meeting because the experience is the most important thing.

* = Who just happens to be moi.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment